The Uganda Marketing Excellence Awards (UMEAs) 2022 returned for a second season at a red carpet, black tie event at the Kampala Serena Hotel, on Friday, December 9,2022.
The second installment of the awards gala saw a multitude of organizations and individuals in the marketing profession getting rewarded for excellent marketing ideas, campaigns and outstanding execution.
The awards gala not only celebrated outstanding practitioners but also shed light on various issues and dynamics surrounding the marketing profession.
A six-member jury carefully assembled by Evolve Africa declared winners of the most important four (4) of the eleven (11) categories of the awards.
Winners from the other seven (7) categories were declared by public vote.
Members of the distinguished jury included, Dr. Benedict Mugerwa, Head of Professional Courses at Uganda Management Institute, Ngulumi Immaculate Nabatte, Chief Marketing Officer, Centenary Bank, Johnpaul Okwi, Manager Sponsorships and wEvents, MTN, Jackie Rukare Namara, CEO, Iguru Consult Ltd, Rogers Anguzu, Head of Marketing, Vision Group and Barbra Arimi Teddy, Head of Marketing and Communications at National Social Security Fund (NSSF).
Among the esteemed jury, Dr. Benedict Mugerwa’s star outshone his peers’ as he clinched the night’s most coveted honors as the UMEAs most accomplished marketer of the year.
This accomplishment marked Dr. Mugerwa as the most esteemed victor of the night.
Some of the biggest highlights of the night included accolades awarded to winners from the four categories selected solely by the jury.
These winners included Dr. Benedict Mugerwa, UMEAs most accomplished marketer, Guinness’ Black Shines campaign as Best marketing campaign of the year, Fireworks Advertising Limited as the Agency of the year (traditional media) and Zeus the Agency taking first place for Agency of the year (digital media).
According to Shafique Ssemakula, Evolve Africa’s co-founder, winners of the night were chosen based on big concepts (ideas), insights driving the ideas, integration of the communication across different platforms, impact as well as execution.
The 2022 UMEAs were powered by Evolve Africa and sponsored by; Kampala Serena Hotel, Centenary Bank, NSSF, Spark TV, New Vision, Radio City, Matooke Republic,Kadanke Brand House, johnnie Walker and Tusker Malt
The Uganda Marketing and Excellence Awards were first inspired by the extraordinary marketing campaigns that brands and their custodians created against all odds, during the worldwide Covid-19 pandemic.
The following is the full list of winners;
1. Best advertising campaign– Names have power Campaign, CFAO Motors
2. Best use of partnership and marketing– Nyege Nyege festival 2022, Talent Africa Group
3. Best use of digital marketing– Uganda needs more of you, Airtel Uganda
4. Best use of PR– Uganda needs more of you, Airtel Uganda
5. Best innovation (new product/service)– USSD account opening, Equity Bank Uganda
6. Best use of experiential marketing– Walkers Tour Campaign- Johnnie Walker
7. Best corporate social responsibility campaign– Cancer Run 2022, Centenary Bank
8. Best agency of the year (digital)– Zeus the Agency
9. Agency of the year (traditional media)– Fireworks Advertising Limited
10. Marketing Campaign of the year– Black Shines Brightest, Guinness Uganda
11. UMEAs most accomplished Marketer– Dr. Benedict Mugerwa (FCIM, PhD)